Monday, September 26, 2005

Funny Family Stories

I saw the Blog post of "Do you Remember" with a list of stories. So I thought it would be cool to "Tell YOUR Funny/Interesting Family Story."

I will begin: Some of my earliest and fondest memories have to deal with Grandma (Marian Neuhaus) especially since she lived in the apartment behind my house. Christmas Morning Brunches with her and Grandpa (Herbert A. Neuhaus Sr.), Grandma's World Famous Grilled Cheeses which she would make for me whenever I stopped by for a visit (which was quite often). and Granny's Pancake Shapes with Mickey Mouse and Snakes.

Funny Story: Melissa and I were in Grandma's car waiting to go on a trip and so we were doing what kids do and were messing around and accidentally kicked her car into neutral where it started to roll down the driveway. Melissa decided to bail and jumped out the window leaving me to "Go down with the ship" as the car rolled into our house. And who gets in trouble. Me.

3 comments:

Melisssa Neuhaus said...

Hey - I tried to stop the car by pulling on it - Gravity was against me... :)

Sandi said...

I have a story to share. Katrina's and Rita's recent visits down here in the south, plus the new system that we're watching in the tropics, reminded me of this:

Not long after my father left, one of those nasty storms developed along the New England coast. They were evacuating homes near the coast, and even people inland a little bit were being told to take precautions and board up their homes.

I remember that Gramma (Marion) called our house. She was worried about us -- it was the first big storm that my mom (April) had to deal with on her own. Gramma kept insisting that mom, my sister Cathy, and I needed to come to their house "where it would be safer." (Remember those magic words.)

My mom didn't want to drive to Manasquan at first, but Gramma kept insisting that Grampop was worried and that we had to come over. So finally mom gave in. She packed us up the car and we went over to gramma's.

As soon as we got to Gramma's house, Gramma comes running out to greet us. Then she puts us right into her car, and drives us to the beach to see the waves.

Now remember, the shore had been evacuated.

As we're driving to the beach, we get stopped by a policeman who explains that nobody was allowed back until after the storm. Gramma quietly reaches over to where I'm sitting and pinches me, as she tells the policeman a story about how I'm upset that we had to leave my kitten and that we just wanted to go get it. "We'll just be a minute, officer." Thanks to the pinching, I've got tears in my eyes, tne the policeman falls for the story. So we were allowed to go to the beach.

Gramma was right -- being at the beach during the storm was really cool. I remember the waves coming all the way up to the sidewalk. (Unlike Florida beaches that I'm used to now, in Jersey there was a wide expanse of sand between the road and the water, so this made a big impression on me.) I remember hanging onto a lightpole, and the wind picking up my feet! I remember the sand blowing in the wind and feeling it cut sharp into my face and hands. And I remember thinking even then, "I'm glad Gramma wanted us safe with her!"

Gail and Herb said...

Thats Granny she still loves to go to the beach when ever there is a storm, rain or snow .