Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Anyone use or heard of Skype?

Sounds like a bad thing but it's not. Skype is a program that allows you "call" and talk with other Skype users over the internet. It's alsolutely free. You need decent internet connection (DSL or cable is fine) and a headset. To get started you just download the installer and then create a free account. Skype does sell some services for money, but you do not need any of those extras. For example, it is NOT free to use Skype to call a regular telephone number. But Skype-to-Skype calls are completely free.

I use it all the time in my business - saves a lot of long distance charges. I mention it because we seem to be scattered across the country. (Hey! How about we create a map with dots to show where everyone is located - I can give it a try if someone sends me a list of towns)

Here is a sample of how you would use Skype to find someone. I searched on the name NEUHAUS in the US.....maybe you know some of these folks!

And here is how you place a call. In this case to my wife Debbie.

Hope you give it a try. My Skype name is hjneuhaus.
Herb in Colorado

(you can get the software at www.skype.com)

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Herb,
Orlando told me to look into this. By the way, what do you do?

Cathy

Herb in Colorado said...

I do business and technology consulting in electronics. Been in the field since I got out of undergraduate school 25 years ago.

And what about you?

Cathy said...

Right now I'm an Admin Assistant for a company that sells travel packages. I did was in the travel industry for about 18 years, then I was an Assistant Manager for Chuck E Cheese for 3.5 years...I needed a change of pace. I just recently decided to go back to an office envirnoment (normal hours)but not as a manager. 16 years in management was more then enough.

Cathy

Sandi said...

I've posted a link (along the right side of the blogsite) to Skype, if anyone is interested. It (Skype) looks pretty cool.

I also had a website for Herb -- I hope you don't mind that I posted that link, too, Herb. I had found it when I was looking you up at the MIT alumni site -- Cari's boyfriend is a student there this year and I had remembered that you had gone there.

Herb in Colorado said...

You folks are resourceful! Actually, I have changed companies and that website is a little out of date. I am working on a new website. But close enough! You can get an impression of what I am up to.