Saturday, June 24, 2006

Welcome, James!

I know that a couple of people have noticed a new name on our blogsite. Iamclavo belongs to James, who works out to be my 2nd cousin. He's Aunt Kay's grandson; Jimmy's son. (Okay, I think Jimmy goes by James now, but my mom/April still refers to him as Jimmy. Sorry.) They'll be at the reunion, so we'll get to meet them then. In the meantime, James, why don't you update us on your branch of the family. We'd love to hear from you!

And if anyone is interested, I'm adding a link that will help figure out family relationships. Basically, you figure out what direct relative (parent, grandparent, great-grandparent) etc you both have in common. Then you count up how many "g's" you have in common. That number is the number cousin you are. (If you are both the Great-Grandchildren of ancester "X", then you have 2 "g's" in common and are 2nd cousins.) If there is a difference in the number of "g's", then the difference is how many "removals" you are. (I'm the Great-Grandchild of "X" and you are the Great-Great-Grandchild, then we have 2 "g's" in common with 1 extra "g" which makes us 2nd cousins once removed.) I know, it still sounds complicated. But check out the chart -- it's kinda fun to realize that our reunion in August will actually have third cousins getting to know each other!

No comments: